I woke up early a couple of days ago and to pass the time till the rest of the house woke up, I decided to do a little hobby programming. I wanted to do a little animation around a star fractal. I didn't find the Koch snowflake aesthetically pleasing, so I thought I'd make my own based on a tree fractal algorithm that I knew gave pleasing results. This got lost somewhere a long the way and I ended up reducing my goal to creating a pleasing tree.
Rather than talk about the structure of the code, which is pretty simple, I thought it would interesting to review the sequence of images I created and talk about the decisions I made to come up with the next version. The code to produce the images is available on github.com/robertpi/FractalTree and will be linked to, if you want to see what the code changes look like. I didn't store my earlier version of the algorithm in git, so some of the earlier versions have been reversed engineered from later versions, but I think they're pretty close to what I had.